Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What is this wrist-watch like thing?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 5 Mar 2019 11:07:30 -0500, Pat
wrote:

On 3/5/19 10:48 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In micky writes:

What do you call the thing that's in the front right corner of my rental
car's dashboard, just below the window, at the far corner of the
dashboard, that looks like an analog wris****ch with the hands** pointed
at 4:37. It beeps a lot, sometimes when I'm doing something wrong, but
also when I'm not. It may make other noises. Sometimes symbols flash
on the face of it, but the rental company didn't say what they mean.

Maybe there is a standard meaning and if I knew what the thing was
called, I might be able to find out!

"driver lane assist" perhaps?

Maybe. I never heard of that, but I'll look.

The trouble is that that's a generic term. I should have known since
you didn't capitalize anything. I was hoping to find the actual device,
and what all it does**.

For example, does it keep a record of every time it thinks I violated a
rule and will it tell the renter, Hertz, and will Hertz hold it against
me, especially if there's an accident, OR if I want to rent from them
next year, will they charge a higher rate if i had too many "beep
events"?

**But taking your words and looking for images of them, I found "Lane
Keeping Assist" whose graphic is a lot like the one in my rental car.

"Slightly pulling the wheel will disable the lane keeping assist on most
cars" Well I'm sure t hat doesn't happen, because it 's an add-on and
wasn't built-in.

I also used your terms and the word Hertz to try to find it, and all I
got was promot ional material about Lane Detection Systems....Forward
Collision Warning. I think mine beeps for other reasons also, and I
know it beeps when I doing nothing wrong, and that is gradually causing
me to ignore it.

Maybe if she gave us a hint like the make, model and trim package of the car.

I think it was added by the rentacar company. I had one just like this
last year in a different make of car.

It may make other noises. Sometimes symbols flash
on the face of it, but the rental company didn't say what they mean.

Trader said:
No owner's manual in the glove compartment?

Yes, but it's in a language I can't read.

I'd expect it's available online.

Yes, but in English only, it's over 700 pages, How long is War & Peace?
I looked at chapter 4 and today I'm going to look at the radio chapter,
which I think is 5. But that's to learn about other stuff, like how to
set presets and how to pair the phone with the radio. This device
won't be there because Mazda didn't provide it.

Last year on one trip in one city I had 3 different cars ;-) , a Nissan
iirc, a Hyundai, and a Honda. Only one had the device but none was a
Mazda.