Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG welding bandsaw blades

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 21:16:51 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* I've read about it somewhere , but don't recall the details ... Broke
the last (nearly new) band for my horizontal , figured I have nothing to
lose but a little time , a bit of shield gas and some 'lectrons - oh ,
and I'll need to make a clamp block to keep the blade aligned as I weld
on it . Got a new blade on the way , but just got a bug to try this . I
know low amps DCEN , what filler ? Got ER70S2 ,ER70S6 (MIG wire) , ER
308/309/312 and some Invar 42 nickel/iron . The blade is an Irwin (IIRC)
bimetal 10/14 pitch . Am I going to need to anneal the weld ? O/A torch
OK for the task if it's needed ? I know I want to minimize the HAZ .

I use bi-metal blades. They are hard to weld properly with the
resistance weld method. TIG welding with SS works very well though.
Just for kicks I decided, years ago, to see how well TIG welding would
work. See this link:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/uPXdZXEsyGc
Ernie Leimkuhler explains how he does it. I didn't have any of the
filler he was using so I tried ER309 filler. I was sawing 5" diameter
6061 bar. Very aggressively with a coarse variable pitch blade. The
blade was old and broke. I ended up welding the blade in 3 places.
None of my welds failed. After the blade broke in yet another place I
switched blades.
Eric