Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Puzzle of plastic

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 20:04:44 +0000, soup
wrote:

On 03/03/2019 19:27, Clive Arthur wrote:

But it's an interesting point. Why would something have no taste? Water
is not inert, even Speed 10 water (the purest water, triple distilled
from the finest vacuous bull****). It will still affect your taste
buds.

Affecting your tastebuds is not the same as tasting of something.

The jury is still out but the current pet theory is that water will
'reset' the taste buds, so later in that sip of water it tastes quite
bitter (it is fairly neutral in taste but because it has the effect of
washing away previous tastes it resets the taste buds so the sour(ish)
ones fire as much as the others, but poisons being sourish the sour
tastebuds are considered {by the brain} as more important so more heed
is paid to them than the sweet ones).
Hence something 'cleansing' being considered sour(ish)

On the wall of the phys.chem lab at uni, there was a very elaborate
glass still system. The condensate from the first conventional
distillation was fed into a second still containing a little potassium
permanganate. The condensate from this still went into a third still
containing a little potassium dichromate. The product from that was
'triple distilled water'. Quite why the need for permanganate or
dichromate, I'm not sure - something to do with oxidising traces of
volatile organics that were carried over from the first distillation,
I believe.

I have no idea what the triple distilled water tasted like

I do because I tried it. No taste.