Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Puzzle of plastic

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/03/2019 08:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, for a start most of my milk still comes in glass bottles because
its
delivered. The problem with glass is that its heavy to transport of
course
and it has to be cleaned every round trip.
Cartons are now recyclable it seems so I do that, as with cans and
plastic
food containers.
The problem with recycling is that sadly the same carton cannot be
cleaned
and sterilised, it needs to be melted down into something to make
something
else and there seems a finite number of times you can do this, probably
more
energy hungry than sterilising a bottle , but I've never seen a
comparison.
Paper bags are fine, and still with us of course but they are a pain if
you
walk to do your shopping and its raining.

Vegetables need to be put into something, especially if multiple. (I don't
mind sticking a label on a single courgette.)

Ours do it on everything now, even nectarines and apples,
as I discovered when I put the plastic bag of nectarines on
the self checkout machine and had it tell me what it was
instead of me having to tell the machine what it was.

Supermarkets won't trust us with paper bags:

Ours do. The breadmix mostly comes in very solid paper bags.

Tesco (used to) provide paper bags with a plastic window for mushrooms.

I personally think the pre packed food with plastic over it is probably
extremely wasteful also they fill the package with gas of some kind to
help preserve the contents.

The plastic trays for fresh meat and fish can't be recycled easily as they
are usually black which is the same colour as the conveyor belts and have
a different plastic for the clear lid.

Ours dont have a clear lid, clingwrap instead.

I need to see what it looks like; not every store has fresh food counters
and the operatives aren't very good at cutting a precise amount of fish.

I dont bother with commercial fish. Its either come
from a sewer in Vietnam etc or from raping the oceans.