Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default ev charging

In article ,
Tricky Dicky scribeth thus

Just for amusement anyone know what the cable box and loop is for in the
bottom left hand side of that image?...

Several of the houses on both sides of the street have them. Further down the
street there is a loop but no box fitted and it seems the cable that loops down
is one continuous run down the whole street. I wonder if this is FTTP that
avoids digging up the street.

Richard

Nope! It was a wired distribution system called British relay in a way
the forerunner of Cable TV a documentary here explains why and how they
came into existence.

We had to adopt TV's to take their set top box and they did provide the
much sought after ITV London which many considered to be a much better
station than the local Anglia ITV service. It distributed the signal in
Video base band on a balanced HF pair not too bad when it left the base
at Kings Hedges road but it wasn't too bright after it got to the other
side of town. The advent of UHF single aerial reception and colour TV
saw it gone but bits of the infrastructure are still in place!.

In fact the old mast on the left is still standing in this Pic I think
it fell down a year or so a year back.

https://goo.gl/maps/gmF5i36QZbz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltI09lTuGjk
--