Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default ev charging

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:

Some may not like the idea of €śtheir€ť infrastructure being used by others
but many others no longer have such worries and accept that people using a
WiFi point on their premises is just part of normal life.

They certainly won't like it when they get presented with the electric
bill.

When I said with outlets connected to the web and a terminal pad that can
be touched by a smart card,phone like the railway barriers then most people
would realise that was a suggestion to apportion the charge to those
who were plugged in at the time, not the person on whose premises the
charger happens to be on, did that point pass you by?

You were comparing, or appearing to compare, people blagging wifi (at
no significant cost to the owner) with people blagging volts to charge
their battery, at very significant cost to the person in whose name the
meter is.

And you appear to have got the wrong end of the stick. The charger or the
property may be yours but the energy cost would be apportioned to whoever
activated it by using their card/phone/ palm print ,retina scan etc on the
external pad/ reader on the wall by the socket.

Blagging implies a degree of unapproved use,
BT broadband customers can legitimately use other BT customers WiFi to gain
access legitimately on a reciprocal basis , it is possible if people are
really concerned they can alter their router settings so that cannot happen
but most dont bother which is what I mean by many people no longer
worrying about others using €śtheir€ť infrastructure.

And if you're talking about someone providing a connection point in the
street, I'd certainly object to someone running that through my home
wifi connection. They can provide their own. Not that there's any room
for any sort of charging infrastructure in streets like the one shown.

The charger and its connection need not be yours, just located on your
property.

There is room enough for a socket on the walls of many houses in similar
residential streets, the charger itself will be inside somewhere .A future
descendent of You living in such a street may not have much choice in the
matter if as part of getting a residents parking permit reciprocal use of
charging outlets is made a condition of obtaining such a permit.
You dont want to be part of such an arrangement and allow room for a
charger in the premises then you wont get a permit and will have to park
and charge your EV elsewhere.

You sound the type who hates the idea of a utility cable deigning to cross
your property or a common sewer running underneath , but those are are
well established examples of infrastructure serving others for the common
good even if they impinge someones property.

GH