Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default ev charging

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:

Working out how costs are apportioned to the right account Ill leave for
someone else to work out but possibly

Mmm, a typical cat-beller.

Not really, I gave one suggestion below but the adoption of EVs is still at
such an early stage for most people that any suggestion made now could be
picked apart,argued against discussed ,made obsolete so until adoption
becomes more mainstream there isnt much point in anyone claiming a good
method at this point.

with outlets connected to the web and a terminal pad like found on railway
ticket barriers that people place a card /smartphone on.

Some may not like the idea of €śtheir€ť infrastructure being used by others
but many others no longer have such worries and accept that people using a
WiFi point on their premises is just part of normal life.

They certainly won't like it when they get presented with the electric
bill.

When I said with outlets connected to the web and a terminal pad that can
be touched by a smart card,phone like the railway barriers then most people
would realise that was a suggestion to apportion the charge to those
who were plugged in at the time, not the person on whose premises the
charger happens to be on, did that point pass you by?
Perhaps to make such a system workable no one would actually own the
charger even if it is on their property with a publicly accessible outlet .
No one seems to worry that they have gas,electric ,water meters in their
homes that they dont actually own but accept that is how it is done to get
the service so if people want to charge their vehicles when they and their
neighbours mix and match parking like now they would have to accept it.

Those who have a Broadband contract with BT can use the WIFI provision of
other BT users apart from some who have opted not to allow it. Using one
doesnt put their bill up and charging points run in the way I suggested
would not either, though I suppose there could be some initial cost in
making sure the house infrastructure is capable of supporting a charger
that could be used for hours on end but an installation should
be done safely anyway.
That is if the mains supply to domestic premises is adequate in the first
place which it probably isnt,
still if gas goes ,wood and coal burning gets banned the electrical
infrastructure in streets may well need a serious upgrade anyway and that
still doesnt solve the problem of where all this electric is going to come
from.

GH