Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On 2/28/2019 7:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Steel drawer tacks are still available:

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/pro...r-thumb-tacks/

Kewl! And thanks! I figured probably _somewhere_ but haven't built a
rail-sliding drawer in ages other than very light boxes, etc., such that
would have been need...the advent of the under-drawer full-length slide
has revolutionized my ideas for desks, heavy chests, sideboards, etc.,
etc., etc., ..., over the last 20 years so haven't used a tack since.

The dining room sideboard here had nylon buttons and built in the early
'50s; was new when folks added on to our "little house" then. Folks
brought it with them when they remodeled the "big house" in '80s.

Since we've been back I've had to shim under it since it's suffered the
similar fate after those buttons failed and the drawers/slides have worn
such the bottom of the drawer front began dragging when closed. I took
the expedient of some of the adhesive-backed melamine strip material of
1/16" thickness on the track strips that was "just right" for it...also
much lower friction than even the waxed wood-on-wood with a wide drawer
containing two full silver service sets plus other serving pieces, etc.,
etc., etc., ...