Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default ev charging

In article , Marland
scribeth thus
Brian Gaff wrote:
I think for me the question is. If you are charging your car on a streetside
charging point, what sort of cable is uses and is there any circumstance
where it can become a trip hazard to a blind person. I remember when
electric cars first came out the idea was mooted of a kind of swing arm at a
high level with the cable on it to drop down past the curb to charge the
car. To me that looks like a vandals paradise, and to leave a cable trailing
is a h/s nightmare for being sued.
Brian

Most people at sometime will have seen a metal channel with a 1/2 or so
slot laid across a pavement to take rainwater from a downpipe to a
roadside gutter.Many date back to Edwardian times but are still in place.
It may be that where EVs have to be charged in residential streets a
similar channel could be laid from premises to curb, problem would be that
the fast charging cables tend to be a lot thicker than 1/2 so to get a
cable small enough would need a rethink on chargers and voltages.

GH

Heres a side street in Cambridge as can be seen theres hardly any room
to put anything anywhere. I reckon this photo was taken on a weekday and
during the day sometimes you simply cannot get parked anywhere near your
home so how ya gonna charge?..

https://goo.gl/maps/DeNuubYa6wL2
--
Tony Sayer