Owain

Default [OT] Car insurance craziness

"Capitol" wrote
| Myth 4) Snipping is always necessary.
| 1) Memory and bandwidth are now such that snipping is totally unnecessary
| in a top posting system.

Perhaps in this, and other developed countries. In less-developed countries
bandwidth is still a rare and expensive commodity.

However, clear snipping and posting order are essential to readers using
assistive technology such as text-to-speech or tactile output. Reading those
forms of output is much slower than skim-reading a visual screen, so
unneccessary content should be removed. Most newsreaders are optimised for
top-posting and correct quoting.

| 2) Maybe we can get some of our readers back to work if we all try to use
| more bandwidth and force telecomm companies to increase their capacity!

Only if someone (we) are prepared to pay for it.

| 3) Snipping can on occasions distort the reasoning of the participants.

It shouldn't, if done correctly. It helps following an argument, because
clear snipping and interleaving comments means there is no doubt about to
which part of a post a poster is responding.

Owain