Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default About them 'scope probes

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:16:27 -0800, wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 19:02:44 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
More reading:
"The Secret World of Oscilloscope Probes"
http://www.dfad.com.au/links/THE%20SECRET%20WORLD%20OF%20PROBES%20OCt09.pdf

The link in the video to EEVblog doesn't work. This does:
"EEVblog #453 - Mysteries of x1 Oscilloscope Probes Revealed"
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-453-mysteries-of-x1-oscilloscope-probes-revealed/?all

Well, I watched that video you mentioned plus another two, one put out
by Tektronix. I now understand WAY better what's going on. Thanks for
the link and suggestions. I know it shouldn't matter but the EEVblog
guy's voice bugs me. But his explanation was clear. And the pdf you
posted a link to was also very educational.
Thanks,
Eric

Y'er welcome. There's also a mess of magic (and confusion) with high
voltage probes, where the frequency response varies with the applied
voltage. See graph on Pg 1-12:
https://download.tek.com/manual/070822305.pdf

Also active probes that work at GHz frequencies with input loading
around 1M and 1pf. You can really get spoiled with those working
around RF.
"Active probes: why they are worth buying"
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279659#

I have the same problem with Dave Jones of EEVblog. Recently, he's
made an attempt to shorten his videos and clean up his presentation,
but it's still difficult viewing. Here's a clue:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog
"No Script, No Fear, All Opinions"
Methinks a script and an editor might help.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558