Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default ev charging

On 26/02/2019 17:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think for me the question is. If you are charging your car on a streetside
charging point, what sort of cable is uses and is there any circumstance
where it can become a trip hazard to a blind person. I remember when
electric cars first came out the idea was mooted of a kind of swing arm at a
high level with the cable on it to drop down past the curb to charge the
car. To me that looks like a vandals paradise, and to leave a cable trailing
is a h/s nightmare for being sued.
Brian

A very valid concern.

I've not seen any chargers where the cables would/ should lay in the
path a pedestrian not associated with the car or charged would normally
take. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't any nor that someone
couldn't set out to place a cable in a way it would cause a problem.

When you get a 'free' charger installed under the gov. scheme (if it is
still running), it must be installed on a private drive or in a private
garage etc. You can't, for example, park in the street and have it
somewhere in your front garden and run the cable across the pavement.
You are required to send photos of the planned installation point when
you apply. I suppose people could obtain their own chargers and self
install- it isn't complex (I watched the chap do ours), just a 16A spur
(or 30A in some cases).

While I fully appreciate your concerns, I think the problem of cars
parking on pavements etc is probably far more of an issue.