Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Paint for cast iron gutters - Hammerite smooth?

On 25/02/2019 09:33, wrote:
I've recently replaced the one 6m length of PVC gutter bodge on the
house with cast iron to match everything else (a slightly tough job,
single handed; where are the off-spring when you need them?) The new
stuff was pre-painted and looks great, but it's reminded me how bad the
rest of the guttering looks (in good condition, but bad paint and with
leaking joints). The plan is to take it down in sections, wire brush,
paint, re-fit with new bolts and seals, and to adjust the brackets to
improve the falls. The question is what to paint it with.
My first thought was inside and outside with Hammerite smooth, but I've
read reviews saying that it flakes quickly and is a pain to apply ("not
as good as it used to be" is a common comment). Other suggestions are to
use bitumen paint inside and almost anything outside.
Any recommendations from people who have relevant experience?

Thanks for all the replies.
AFAIK the gutters are mechanically good (especially considering they're
80 years old) so I'll continue with the plan to take them all down,
paint and refit.
The "Zinsser All Coat" looks like the way to go.
I should get the appropriate tuit once the real Spring arrives and will
try to remember to report back.