Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Furnace brands to avoid?

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 2:41:35 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 18:14:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/24/2019 5:14 PM, Jay Shaw wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Jay Shaw wrote:
So Ed, can your SIL confirm that both complexes were installed by the same
qualified contractor?
That may be where the problem lies if one (the Goodman) was done by
sub-standard installers.
Don't blame the product until you can't blame the worker.
Oh, and could you maybe re-edit your post to clean up all the typos?
Makes it
hard to read. Thx.

No idea about the installers but, . . .

Installers can screw up air flow, sensor placement and the like that
affect performance. Installers have no control over defective fan
motors.switches, relays, and a bunch of other items in a package the
installer never touches.

The best furnace in your area will possibly be different than in
mine. Buy the brand with the best support in your area, from the best
dealer/installer in your area. It won't be the cheapest up front - but
could well be the cheapest in the long term. My brother got a "lemon"
from a good dealer and 4 years later got every cent back against the
purchace of a new furnace of a different brand. The "lemon" was a
Lennox Pulse that failed 3 times in 4 years.

Is the Lennox motto: You can buy better, but you can not pay more? Something
to that affect. Thanks Dave...

--
Tekkie

When I was shopping 8 years ago, I looked at the reviews for new furnace
and AC. At the time, Rheem and Ruud were rated just as reliable as perceived
name brands, like Carrier. I had a Ruud that had gone 25 years, only
needing a hard-start kit for the compressor. Rheem and Ruud are made by
the same company. I went with a new Rheem. So far, only one problem,
that was the ECM motor for the condenser fan went kaput. A new one would
have been $350, so I replaced it with a regular one for $90. It's been good
to me, but on the other hand, if you can't DIY and don't know that you
can substitute a cheap motor for the ECM, one service call for that could
have been $750+ for some poor schmuck. And they would have wound up with
another ECM with the electronics to sit outside and go bad again. But I
wouldn't be surprised that if I spend twice as much for a Carrier or similar
name system, the results would be the same. Except maybe it's harder or
impossible to put a generic motor into one of those.