Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default iMac Thunderbolt

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 24/02/2019 17:52, Bill wrote:
OK, moving on from an argument I was having here about Mac vs PC, I do
appreciate that I am the blind leading the blind.

I've been trying to help this friend who has bought an iMac with a 3.06
i3 processor, 4 usb ports and 2 Thunderbolt ports. It was sold to him as
refurbished and came with what he describes as a cheap and nasty
keyboard, which he has replaced.

I've linked up with him via Teamviewer a few times and we now seem to
have got the keyboard into the correct country mode and working, and set
things up so that he can work on his writing etc and his emails work.

I have no idea why he has moved from his well sorted out, fast and
reliable W10 machine with SSD plus internal 2TB HD to this much older and
slower iMac with just a 500GB HD, and he has only said that he always
wanted one.

He has now started to move his various external drives across and has run
out of usb ports. His external usb hub works, but he keeps asking me
whether he can get Thunderbolt to usb adapters to reduce the clutter on
the desk. He bought one, but says it "doesn't fit". I have advised
caution and told him not to try to get a firewire to usb adapter.

He thinks the machine is a 2011, I suspect from the spec it might be
2010. He can't find a model number, just a serial number. I assume it
might be Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2, not Thunderbolt 3. He has asked
the supplier who has just told him to plug his external drive into a usb
port.

As I understand it, KB and mouse use 2 usb, his 4TB and 2TB external
backup and source drives use the other two, and he wants to be able to
leave another video drive connected, and plug usb sticks in.

How does one find out whether or not the Thunderbolt port can be adapted
to usb?

Isn't thunderbolt USB type C?

Only the physical connector, its a lot more than USB type C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde...#Thunderbolt_3

So a USB C hub should allow thunderbolt to connect to USB peripherals.
Or is it only thunderbolt 3 that is compatible with USB 3?

It isnt that either.