Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 11:57:12 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 19:27:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I need to repair a couple of drawers that have dried out dovetail joints. 2
drawers, maybe 16 pins.
I don't need anything like a full West Systems kit of epoxy and filler, but
I need something other than straight wood glue to fill in the gaps.
I could try wood glue and sawdust, but I'm wondering if there is something
better/neater.
Thanks.

Sorry - I can't offer any tried & true advice - but would
appreciate it greatly if you re-post your results after you've
made the repairs. I bet there isn't anyone reading who hasn't
had this same situation with old drawer dovetails.
I thought of Chair Doctor but it needs to soak in and expand the
wood fibers - will not work if the old glue is sealing the wood too
much. and it doesn't provide any gap filling - it is quite watery.
John T.

If the object of the exercise is just to make the joint solid and
not to make a career out of it I'd tape the surface of the joint, cur
the dovetailprofile in the tape, and inject an expanding urethane glue
(gorilla) into the joint, then clamp it together while the glue
expands. When the glue is curets use a blade to remove the excess and
remove the tape for a nice neat "repair" The expanded urethane will
fill all the gaps makingit a tight fit even if the glue doesn't
"stick" to everything Drill a fine hole from the top and the bottom
and insert a snug fitting finish nail or wire from each end to
re-enforce the joint if you like - to keep the joint from "working"
loose.

Sure, there are "better" ways to fix it, theoretically, that involve
more precise "woodwork" and show off your "craftemanship" - but if the
intent is just to repair the drawer, this will work,