Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Remote dimmer switch?

On 23/02/2019 10:52, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:19:39 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

If this was in the centre / ceiling light in a bedroom, would you
consider it bright enough on it's own for say hoovering or reading
etc?

I'd say just about,

Ok and thanks.

but brightness required is pretty much a matter of
opinion/lumens.

Understood. But given an average room with a given source of
illumination, you know when it's 'not very bright'. ;-)

Well, if pushed, I'd say pretty bright - at least 60W incandescent
equivalent. And I like the relatively warm white - but not all do.

Anyway, what I was talking about:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-dimming-kit-warm-white-yellow-art-80356911/

Yes, I found it after you mentioned it Rob and have already forwarded
that info, with floor standing uplighter to daughter (carer for her
half-sister) and she likes it:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-art-50139877/

I thought that combo would be a good compromise as it could take over
as the main light when she was in there on her own so she could then
control the brightness to suit her personal needs.

That still leaves use with the option of a std dimmer in the wall
switch as 'they' can still turn the light on / off easily if required.

I may have to go and get it because whilst the delivery could be good,
we don't know what time we actually have to help.

Cheers, T i m

ps Whilst I could convert the current BC to ES for the ceiling light,
if it was turned off at the wall, she couldn't turn it on from the bed
etc.

There might be a way to convince 2 switches to control one light - not
sure I'm afraid, and you could be getting into the realm of one of their
hubs. As it is is, it works out the box without any need for anything else.

I bought it as a toy, to see if I could integrate it into other similar
standard lights I have dotted about the house. I did get it working
(some excellent community resources), but it lost the connection and I
haven't got round to figuring out why. Still works with the original
puck though.

Just one thing - it's not the last word in granular adjustment. The puck
thing, while quite durable and an interesting design (it can be wall
mounted, like a switch), relies on something gravity/centrifuge driven,
and at least for me proves a little tricky to achieve fine adjustments.

Also, the puck needs a battery - not sure how long they last, and I'd
imagine it'd need pairing again at each change.

But for the money, might be worth a try. At worst they'll have an LED
bulb :-)

--
Cheers, Rob