Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default All new gas appliances to be banned in UK.

On 22/02/2019 15:35, Robin wrote:

For eaxample if - say - we mandated that it was illegal to USE a 3KW
kettle, the energy to manufacture new ones would add to the extra
energy lost because of the longer period of heatloss from the kettle.
Therefrore its easy to see that 'energy saving' low power kettles
would actually increase energy consumption.

Who has suggested limiting the maximum power of kettles?Â* It strikes me
as a straw man.

The suggestions I've seen from the EU work may or may not prove to be
cost-effective but they are at least literate - eg

More concealed elements and more accurate scales to heat less water

totally pointless. Existing kettle can heat less than a cup of wtaer.

Reduce switch off time after reach boiling

Oh purlease! 2 extra kilowatt seconds? At ehat extr complexity and cost
and energy to manufactire?

Reduce thermal mass of kettle

Already minimal compared with water.

Reduce outer surface heat loss

Totally pointless. Kettle is only hot for a few seconds.

And how much energy will it take to manufacture a kettle with all that?

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler