Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Remote dimmer switch?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:52:57 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:35:54 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch that
anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone to
easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible and
I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

Cheers, T i m

Isn't this a job for some Amazon Alexa magic ?

I did voice that when the thought first came up but I don't think it
would work, because:

Her voice isn't very good sometimes and she's sharing the room with a
'carer' (her sister) so it's bad enough that she might need to have
some light (bad for the sleeping carer) to say got to the toilet but
to also have someone say in a reasonably clear voice, 'Alexa, bedroom
light to 25%' ...

So, I was thinking a simple remote she could use herself to put enough
light on in the room to be able to walk out safely ... and could be
'tuned' to light the room in general (watching TV, talking to people
etc).

I was sure such things were the next step on from 'non remote' dimmers
but maybe they have all been outmoded now?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y4ojzdwj

A straight remote controlled lamp might do, if there is one that can
go bright enough (online reviews suggest many can't), but I'm not sure
how they work when also turned off and on at the switch (well, I know
what happens when they are turned off g).

Cheers, T i m