Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk[_3_] Tim Daneliuk[_3_] is offline

Default What Is This Thing?

On 2/21/19 9:37 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 2/21/2019 10:17 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 2/21/19 9:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
Is it under a chimney, or was it at one time?Â* It looks like a
clean-out door.

May have been, I'll have to look.

Remedies?

It looks like a clean out door on aÂ* chimney.Â* From the picture it may no longer be used as it appears quite close to the pipe going into the chimney.

What are you using for heating?Â* Coal, Natural gas, Electricity, .........?

Heating is natural gas. I suspect that either there is some kind of foundation water leak
(it is right above sill plate leve) or there is a chimney cap missing that is allowing water
to come down. The latter is less likely because there isn't really a lot of moisture there.

Unless you are still using coal, I would clean it out and brick it shut, After confirming that it is no longer needed with your current heating system contractor.

Yep, that sounds like a plan.

OR

You could do what my brother did about 60 years ago when he was about 10;Â* store your firecrackers in the space behind the door.

It could also be used to store that bottle of "secret" ingredient, if your wife is a teetotaler.

I like this plan better

Thanks everyone for your swift responses...