Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What Is This Thing?

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 10:01:04 PM UTC-5, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
62 year old home renovated about 3 years ago. This portion of the interior basement was
left alone. What is this - an old coal chute perhaps?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v070ra...coalchute.jpg#

There is noting on the exterior of the home to indicate this is present.

As you can see it is seeping moisture. I suspect the interior box has corroded and
is now leeching moisture into the basement and then setting up mold.

So...

1) What is it?

It's something worth about $32.

https://www.amazon.com/STOVE-COD8-Ch.../dp/B0044UT6M0

2) Any concern about opening it up and looking inside?

Are you afraid of creepy, crawly things? There's about a 100% chance that
you'll find some form of life within.

3) How to remediate?

Send another picture after you open it and we may be able to offer some
advice. Real hard to tell what the issue is just by looking at the closed
door.

TIA,

YWFN

Tim