Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default What Is This Thing?

On 2/21/2019 8:58 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
62 year old home renovated about 3 years ago. This portion of the interior basement was
left alone. What is this - an old coal chute perhaps?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v070ra...coalchute.jpg#

There is noting on the exterior of the home to indicate this is present.

As you can see it is seeping moisture. I suspect the interior box has corroded and
is now leeching moisture into the basement and then setting up mold.

So...

1) What is it?

2) Any concern about opening it up and looking inside?

3) How to remediate?

J Clarke nailed the "what"; looks like that is the chimney stack above
it to me in all likelihood.

"Remediation" means finding out what the source of the water is -- is it
groundwater around the foundation pooling or condensation from
combustion? Looks like an exhaust duct into the chimney, perhaps?

Not enough context to tell what we're actually looking at other than it
is an ash pit door--now whether somebody did something really, really
stupid with an ash pit door that has nothing to do with intended
function is something we can't answer.

But, I'm sure it's not a coal chute...

Other than perhaps some minor water and ash when opened, doubt there's
anything really serious behind there--if there were standing water of
large amounts, it would show much more symptoms..."spiders and snakes!"
of course, depending on just what is on the other side of the
brick....is it a wall or the chimney we see...we don't know for certain
but with the door one presumes the latter more likely.

--dpb