You Asked

Default Joint sweating

"William Brown" wrote in message
I am going to replace the gate valves in my home the ball valves, so I
have been reading up on sweating joints. Briefly, the advice is to heat
the valve, then heat the line, then heat the valve while applying the
solder, then wipe the joint with a wet rag. My question is, since there
will be two joints at each valve, should I solder both before wiping
with the rag, or should I complete one, and then do the other. I am a

(and so forth)

I have found Oatey Instant Lead Free Solder to be much, much easier to use
than regular solder. If the pipe is 3/4" or larger, use regular solder to
"cap" the joint, if you want to absolutely sure that the joint is sealed,
although I haven't had any problems just using the Instant Solder alone.
It's virtually foolproof, and it's available at Home Depot.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...&prodgrpid=366

Also, use a MAPP gas torch when sweathing ball valves, and be sure the pipes
are really dry before you start. It might take several hours to drain
completely, even with all the faucets open. Be patient. Open any nearby
drain valves on other gate valves, as well as all faucets in your home.
Nothing stops solder from flowing like a drop of water in the pipe.