Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Advice: How to address a curved edge

On 2/20/2019 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2019 12:13 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Been awhile since I've posted here. I'm a weekend hobbyist at best.

I'm planning out a "bridge" to sit on my desk:

https://flic.kr/p/SGc97Y

It is to help organize my music recording setup, some of which is
shown in schematic form.This is a fairly utilitarian piece that will
be largely obscured by the stuff on it, but I'd like it to look nice.

I'd like to make it from plywood. It will be 6' long and figure ply is
less likely to be twisted, cupped, etc. But there's that curved edge,
I could just use the iron on edge veneer, but I'm not crazy about how
that looks at the edges.

I see that thicker edge banding is made (1.5 and 3mmm), but I have
only found it in really large quantities. I tried bending some 1/4"
oak strip at Home depot the other day (by hand) and it looks like it
would make the bend, but I wouldn't want the piece to launch itself at
me someday (and I don't have a steamer).

Any ideas?

With a gentle curve like you drawing shows you can easily rip 1/4"
strips and attach. Oak will very easily bend tighter than that. Glue
and brad or pin.

++1

The other option is not to put a curve on it to begin with. This is
particularly true if you don't have tools to shape and smooth the curve.
This type of "bridge" commonly has no curve so that option may not be as
nice, but still worth consideration.

--
Jack