Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Scales that can't make up their mind

On 20/02/2019 16:26, Bert Coules wrote:
Not really a DIY question (unless it turns out that there is in fact a
DIY fix), so apologies.

I have a bathroom scale with an LED display (branded Weight Watchers but
I don't know the actual maker) which is a good few years old now.Â* It's
always been completely reliable but over the last couple of days the
display has refused to stabilise: it flicks up and down over a range of
about half a stone, never stopping on any one reading.

I'm assuming that it's an electronics problem rather than a mechanical
one, but am I correct?

Many thanks.

Not necessarily IMHO, even electronic scales are measuring the
compression of some sort of "spring". In practice, there are various
links and pivots and a little bit of friction anywhere will affect the
result. Mine varies if you rock backwards and forwards. I have found you
can get more consistent results if you effectively place each of your
big toes on the same "mark" every time (with your heels in the same
places, of course). As others have said, the flatness, hardness, and
levelness of where you place the scales can also make a difference.

But it could be electronics too: battery connections?