Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Hole in service entry wire

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:19:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 6:28 PM, wrote:
I accidentally drilled a hole in the service entry wire a few months ago. Other than the light briefly flickering when it initially happened but other than that I hadnt caused any problems at all. I know I got extremely lucky! I got a quote from an electrons of 925$ to replace it but Im wondering if it needs to be replaced since it hasnt caused any problems?

Depends. How big of a hole in how bit of a wire? Less material in the
wire means less capacity. Tiny hole, no big deal. Big hole can cause
problems when you run lots of power.

If you grazed a tiny bit, no big deal, but if you took out 3/4 of a
conductor, I'd replace.

Sounds like a troll to me. How about the part about the lights
flickering? Why would the lights flicker, unless the drill completed
a circuit and drew huge amps, in which case there would be a lot more
to worry about than the lights flickering and the hole.