Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 19:06:45 UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
He was asked to compose the startup sound because the original 3.1
sound was crap which no one really liked.

SO yes it was a musical sound before he had to restrict it to what PCs
could produce. The startup sound did change and improve with later
versions of the OS, but Brian Eno used a Mac on the original

I haven't snipped and tucked, because I think it's time to bring this
small and OT chat to a close, but to answer your points:

PC's pre W95 could be set up to produce full range and quality sound.
The limitation then was the cost of hard drives rather than the OS.

The first Macintosh didn't need a HD for the sounds.
The startup sounds. Go find them if you don't believe me or watch the unvieling of the first macintosh.

The musicians I know are live musicians from all sort of genres.

I have heard of Brian Eno and Mozart. I prefer Beethoven and Chuck
Berry.

But niether of them used a PC or a Mac did they.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-musicians-use-Macs

Even douglas adams prefered a Mac, he could have written on the PC I know that he knew that too.

I still think it's arguable whether the Windows 95 sound is music.

It started as music but too complex and long to be a startup sound.
It's quite well documented.

I've even watch Brian Eno talk about it in an interview some 12 years ago .

https://theindustryobserver.thebrag....startup-sound/

"Brian Eno, who was tapped by Microsofts executives to create this piece of music."

He was asked to create music not a series of bleeps.

€˜We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional, this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said €˜and it must be 3.25 seconds long.

The
story you pointed to said little about how he produced the sound - it
sounds synthesised,

Of course it's from a compter.
which is probably the on stage technology you refer
to with Macs. I was referring to audio mixing and recording. I suspect
most of that is now dedicated units with embedded Linux.

Depends who you are, and how much money you have to throw at such things.
MS didn't ask the London or new york Symphony orchestras .
Brian Eno was asked and he used a Mac.
There were and are plenty of other musicians out there but for whatever reason they asked Eno.

Not sure what his MacBook Air will do. My Lenovo laptop has 500gb ssd +
500GB hd. It has an excellent keyboard, but the screen can swivel and
fold to make it a tablet. In the field, I can do a quick sketch on the
screen with the pen, or I can touch to select functions - ideal for use
in a car to use with OBD2.

you can do all that on an ipad pro too.

It isn't perfect, but imo it is far better
bang for the buck than a MacBook of similar age. I don't mind that it is
not as "cool". It's carbon fibre and metal and is robust, but I haven't
got a rickshaw to do that test.

That was your choice as is everyones perhaps MS couldn't afford the London or new york Symphony orchestras or employ John williams to write the startup sound.
So being on atight budget asked Eno with his Mac.
Surely there must have been musicans using PCs at the time and being 'better value'; there in theory should be many more of them.

Son has more money than me, so he has iPhone, iPad and Air. I am happy
with my Aldi Android and my Lenovo lappie. He does use small Windows
office based machines for his work.

Don't we all, I think that is because I sinned in a previous life or perhaps I will sin in my next life, I'm a technicain not a temporal mechanic.

I do have a Windows 8 tablet, but the less said about that the better,
and hardly ever use it.

I've a PC laptop, I tried using it a few times. It;s now used to prop up my bottom shelf in a wardrobe.

The big Porsche 4x4's will tow 3 tons, but I've never seen one doing
that. I don't know why people buy big 4x4's if they have no practical
reason. I did have a reason, but the boat is now with other son, so
considering my options. The space inside, the heated seats and wheel are
nice, though. Shame the inbuilt TV is pre digital, so just receives
hash.

Receives hash, so a drug dealers car ;-)

So your 4x4 is a 16 according to T i m. ;-)