Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allan Allan is offline

Default Identify these transistors

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 05:13:25 UTC, wrote:
In the 1960s the pocket radios hit the market and were sold everywhere.
I have not opened one of them in years, but I recall the transistors
used in them did not look like more modern types. They had a small metal
can. Just a straight sided metal can, shaped like modern capacitors, but
bare metal. Some had colored dots on them to identify the leads too.

First, I am thinking that they were geranium types. Is that correct?

Second, I have a very old GE transistor manual (edition 2) (PDF). No
where in there does it mention the case style of them. What is the case
style?

Seems those type of transistors came and went quickly. I assume they
were the first generation of transistors.

Shortly after, I recall seeing a lot of metal cases that were shaped
more like a hat, with a brim. Those too vanished. And I recall seeing
some of the hat shaped types with a point sticking out of the top. I
always wondered what that point was for???

Sounds like BC108 series the tab idenified the emitter I think.