Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Lifting huge stone flag....

"Jim K.." wrote in message
news
Rod Speed Wrote in message:
On 2019-02-19 2:43 p.m., Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 19/02/2019 19:03, Jim K.. wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 19/02/2019 16:10, Jim K.. wrote:
I need to lift a huge yorkstone flag, approx 4ft by 4 ft by 4 inch
thick, by about 2 inches, & rebed on mortar etc as
necessary.

Is it rocking? Ff so just level up the side that appears to drop and
shovel in the mortar on that edge/corner. Bearing in mind the weight
and size I doubt if you need to re-bed the whole slab - gravity will
keep it in place.

Not rocking, it "just" needs raising 50mm to accommodate a new
paving scheme.

Level up each edge

Not that easy to do with 3 of the edges. Makes more
sense to use a vacuum thing and a chain block.

- insert 50mm supporting blocks at each corner

Also not that easy to do.

and check levels.

Pack in some fairly dry mortar very tightly using a short plank to
push it in. Lever up slab again to remove spacer block. Check for
level and fill the gaps left by the spacer blocks with more mortar.

No need to remove the spacer blocks if its done using those,
just use concrete slab spacer blocks and leave them there.

Make sure that you don't bridge your damp proof course where the slab
meets your wall.

Not that easy to do that either.

yes it is

You appear to be contradicting #your own# observations woddles...

Then you need new glasses, ****wit.

Its not that easy to ensure that you don't bride the damp proof course
if it happens to be just above the flag before you move the flag.