Joseph Meehan

Default Calculating window heat loss

Duane Morin wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I am not sure what you were expecting.

My daughter's room is the coldest room in the house. At the other end
of the upstairs is the master bedroom, also a corner room with three
windows, but it has much more baseboard for heat and pretty much bakes
us. So I am unable to heat the upstairs adequately -- in order to
keep her room at around 68 I would need to set the thermostat to about
72 which would in turn make our bedroom around 73+. Yuck.

We moved the thermostat from the master bedroom out into a more
central location at the top of the stairs, reasoning that formerly it
was in the room that heated fastest, therefore not leaving any time
for the other rooms to heat. But it has not helped - if anything it
has made the problem worse by causing the master bedroom to heat
longer and hotter.

I recognize that her room is probably getting the least heat, being
way at the end of the pipes and not having a huge amount of
baseboard. So I am overly paranoid about keeping as much of that heat
in there as possible. I am concerned that her room is losing heat
more rapidly than some of the others and not able to get it back.

Hope that clarifies my goals. I realize that by replacing all the
windows in the house I (at least theoretically) improved the heating
efficiency of the house across the board, and thus would not actually
solve the problem . My question came from the surprising discovery
that the temperature dropped so significantly over by the windows, and
I guess I just wasn't sure what to expect, so I asked.

I will look up the constants people are asking me for when I get home,
and post again with that info.

You did a good think, but it was the wrong thing. Improved windows will
save you energy and are likely to make you home more comfortable, but they
will not help make the temperature more even.

Designing a system to efficiently, effectively and evenly is not rocket
science, it's harder. It's heating science and is as much an art as a
science. (Believe me, my son is a rocket scientist and could not design a
good heating system if his life depended on it. He does a great job on
satellites however.)

I suggest you find a professional familiar with the type of heat you are
using and have them take a look. This can't be done on-line it takes a on
site inspection.

In the long run it will not only make you more comfortable, but save you
the cost of the work as well in energy savings.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math