Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
He was asked to compose the startup sound because the original 3.1
sound was crap which no one really liked.

SO yes it was a musical sound before he had to restrict it to what PCs
could produce. The startup sound did change and improve with later
versions of the OS, but Brian Eno used a Mac on the original

I haven't snipped and tucked, because I think it's time to bring this
small and OT chat to a close, but to answer your points:

PC's pre W95 could be set up to produce full range and quality sound.
The limitation then was the cost of hard drives rather than the OS.

The musicians I know are live musicians from all sort of genres.

I have heard of Brian Eno and Mozart. I prefer Beethoven and Chuck
Berry.

I still think it's arguable whether the Windows 95 sound is music. The
story you pointed to said little about how he produced the sound - it
sounds synthesised, which is probably the on stage technology you refer
to with Macs. I was referring to audio mixing and recording. I suspect
most of that is now dedicated units with embedded Linux.

Not sure what his MacBook Air will do. My Lenovo laptop has 500gb ssd +
500GB hd. It has an excellent keyboard, but the screen can swivel and
fold to make it a tablet. In the field, I can do a quick sketch on the
screen with the pen, or I can touch to select functions - ideal for use
in a car to use with OBD2. It isn't perfect, but imo it is far better
bang for the buck than a MacBook of similar age. I don't mind that it is
not as "cool". It's carbon fibre and metal and is robust, but I haven't
got a rickshaw to do that test.

Son has more money than me, so he has iPhone, iPad and Air. I am happy
with my Aldi Android and my Lenovo lappie. He does use small Windows
office based machines for his work.
I do have a Windows 8 tablet, but the less said about that the better,
and hardly ever use it.

The big Porsche 4x4's will tow 3 tons, but I've never seen one doing
that. I don't know why people buy big 4x4's if they have no practical
reason. I did have a reason, but the boat is now with other son, so
considering my options. The space inside, the heated seats and wheel are
nice, though. Shame the inbuilt TV is pre digital, so just receives
hash.
--
Bill

---