Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Lifting huge stone flag....

On 19/02/2019 16:10, Jim K.. wrote:
I need to lift a huge yorkstone flag, approx 4ft by 4 ft by 4 inch
thick, by about 2 inches, & rebed on mortar etc as
necessary.

I can dig under the front edge if necessary, the sides are flower
beds so digging is limited & the rear edge is tight against the
house.

Any suggestions on how to approach?

TIA

Lever up with mattock
https://www.toolstation.com/roughnec...-handle/p20759

Slide a plank of wood under the bit you have just levered up - repeat so
you have two planks under the edge. Use the mattock to lever up and out
from the opposite edge. The slab should slide on the planks. If too
heavy to lift use a car jack to push it further on to the planks.

Whatever you do always prop up the edges you have levered up on wood
blocks, or similar, so if you fail to lift it you still have room to
remove your fingers when dropping the slab back down again. I have
moved slabs much smaller than yours and they were effing heavy.