Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old cottage to retiree apartment.

On 19/02/2019 12:26, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Certainly with the first Architects I've approached, based on the
impressive and apparently comprehensive list of services they offer,
including planning advice and applications, I was surprised that the
first thing the responder asked was whether I had yet engaged a
Planning Consultant? This because, if I hadn't he could recommend one.

A slight mental jolt ensued.

Jobs for chums

watch out.

Its like solicitors and Counsel.

My advice is DIY the whole damned thing. I got PP with a large A1 inkjet
and Corel Draw. And a little bit of architects advice.

THEN the architect charged a couple of grand to turn my approved plans
into something a builder could work off and something that would make
building control happy.

IMO you don't need even an architect. Planning is not about detailed
design, it's about impact on the environment and the community, visual
and otherwise, and social needs etc etc. You only need some sketches
really. Have a look at other peoples applications and attendant reports
to get a feel for the process.

If the planning gets tricky then a consultant MAY be needed to ensure
that you newt survey, your archaeological survey, your meeting the needs
of disabled bisexual transsexual one legged Afro Caribbeans, your impact
on local parking and traffic, the owls nesting in that tree that may
have to come down.. .and bats. Don't forget bats. And of course green
virtue signalling. Since you aren't going to live there sketch in a
windmill in the back garden...and maybe solar panels.

That's the **** the planning consultants sort out. BUT most of it
consists in writing to e.g. highways in the county council showing how
your driveways will have visibility and drainage etc. Paying a man to
say 'no newts here' etc etc.

The duty planning ossifer should be able to tell you what, beyond plans,
you will need to submit and to what level of detail.

Do as much yourself as you can and keep professionals on a tight rein.

They are all money grabbing ****s.

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV