Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The Bench - Finally Done

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 11:30:09 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/17/2019 5:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I finished my daughter's bench. It's a good thing that I don't do this
stuff for a living. My hourly rate would be in the negative numbers.

It's ready for delivery and ultimately to be painted. Painting it is her
choice. She's going to match her already painted dining room table and
chairs. Although painting it would not be my first choice, it's her bench
so I didn't say a word.

This was my first project made from over-sized S2S wood. First use of my
planer. A jointer would have helped. Instead, I made a edge jointer jig for
my table saw fence. It works fine for short boards, but it's tough to joint
a 8/4 x 10 x 6' board, especially in my small shop.

I used three 8/4 x 8' poplar boards, one of which was twisted as some of
you may recall from my "Is My Planer Set Up Correctly" thread. Probably not
the best choice for first-time planer use but I managed.

The design is essentially 100% my daughter's. I offered her options
(straight legs or angled, flat seat or grooved, location of stretcher,
etc.) The result was based on her choices.

60"L x 14"W x 18"H

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/Ju4XAWW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lKWXiTy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ofie3zU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/49h33u2.jpg

Looks great. The paint will help to stabilize movement of the seat if
it were to expand or contract with seasonal changes, unless you
improvised for that movement.

Thanks!

I did not improvise for movement, but I did tell my daughter that she
should at least get primer on it as soon as possible for the very reason
you mentioned - seasonal changes.