View Single Post
  #42   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD

On Monday, 18 February 2019 22:21:43 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 18 February 2019 22:12:50 UTC, Kal Ico wrote:
Latest news:

Following the earlier steer that the most likely component to break is the heater element in the washer, I took the connections off that.

It then does not trip the RCD and I was able to select the drain programme then the spin programme, without problem.

But then the strange bit - when the spin finished I reconnected the heating element and it still didn't trip the RCD.

Testing the resistance from each terminal on the heating element to Earth, with the low-voltage meter, it was about half a Meg Ohm on each. Could this be a fault that only shows up when under power and/or heated?

Just to be clear, there have been NO further trips of the RCD when the washer is unplugged. Maybe just a coincidence or maybe that ring has high earth leakage anyway. Not sure.

Half a meg at low voltage is not right, suspect it has a problem. That R figure will fall as higher V is applied. The heater elephant is only powered up during the wash cycle, and half a meg from N to E doesn't matter. I'd test the element resistance at full voltage. Leaky elements are cheap enough to replace.

NT

Thanks. New element ordered. Cheers