Default "antique nickel" screws?

I've switched to bamboo skewers instead of toothpicks. Stiffer fibers
but still end grain.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:23:42 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Had a similar issue with a new exterior door. I drilled out the old
screw holes and filled them with 3/8" dowels, the 1-1/2" long, splined
kind made for joinery. A decent hardware store should have them. I
then drilled new pilot holes for the screws.

I don't think I would do that -- you're drilling into end-grain. I would
break off a matchstick or two in the old screw holes and use the new screws.