Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Old cottage to retiree apartment.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 05:55:53 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 12:58:29 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My wife and I are 2 thirds of a trio living in a dilapidated cottage
with a large garden.

Greatest potential is likely to be if you can split the garden and create a building plot with outline planning permission for a new dwelling. That will depend a lot on whether access is available, as well as local planning policies.

My suggestion then would be to sell the building plot and wait until it's built on before selling your cottage. That way your buyer won't be inconvenienced or put off by the building process. Or sell your cottage + plot in one go, but with an uplift clause so you get some of the profit if the plot is developed within x years.

Otherwise, seriously look at demolishing the dilapidated cottage especially if you can then get 2 or 3 dwellings as semi or terraced house on the land. Then sell with o.p.p. for demolition and rebuilt and an uplift clause.

Owain

Owain, I like the way you go into this level of detail. I'm sure the
nuances of what you write make very specific points regarding the
formalities and legalities of planning permission.

I do wonder though, and hope, that we could opt for close to the
choice defined in the last line you write, without either physically
demolishing the cottage or including any clauses that delay
finalisation of the deal to a significantly later date.

That is, to sell the land with planning permission for several houses,
but leave all further details and work to any buyer/builder who
decides to purchase the land, without us incurring any significant
reduction of profit by doing so.

---