Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

Default Old cottage to retiree apartment.

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 12:58:29 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My wife and I are 2 thirds of a trio living in a dilapidated cottage
with a large garden.

Greatest potential is likely to be if you can split the garden and create a building plot with outline planning permission for a new dwelling. That will depend a lot on whether access is available, as well as local planning policies.

My suggestion then would be to sell the building plot and wait until it's built on before selling your cottage. That way your buyer won't be inconvenienced or put off by the building process. Or sell your cottage + plot in one go, but with an uplift clause so you get some of the profit if the plot is developed within x years.

Otherwise, seriously look at demolishing the dilapidated cottage especially if you can then get 2 or 3 dwellings as semi or terraced house on the land.. Then sell with o.p.p. for demolition and rebuilt and an uplift clause.

Owain