Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On 17/02/2019 00:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2019 22:30, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 15/02/2019 19:47, Andy Burns wrote:
TimW wrote:

You could always get pcs without an OS

Then you'll be paying over £100 for a genuine Win10 licence to go
with it (and don't get fooled that anything cheaper is is legit).

You mean fooled by Microsoft saying it is legit?

I have bought many cheap Win7 and win10 licences for about £20. I
activate them with Microsoft. I buy them from a company called
softwaregeeks and have been using them for over three years.

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

So in what way are they not legit?

To quote the site in question: "The product comes with step-by-step
instructions for installation/activation, along with a volume license
product key"

So basically its a volume license key version of windows. Not licensed
for resale. To use it legitimately you would need to have a Volume
licensing program agreement in place with MS. [1]

For comparison, my *trade* price on Win 10 Home x64 is £78.13 ex VAT.

[1] From:

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/...ls.aspx?id=201

What are Product Keys?
A Product Key enables use of a software product you have licensed under
a specific Volume Licensing program. The Product Keys listed in the VLSC
should be used with only Volume License products and are intended for
use by your organization only.

Let's just say that those £19.99 licences can be had for nothing online,
equally as legit (well, NOT).