Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On 17/02/2019 10:13, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 17/02/2019 00:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2019 22:30, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 15/02/2019 19:47, Andy Burns wrote:
TimW wrote:

You could always get pcs without an OS

Then you'll be paying over £100 for a genuine Win10 licence to go
with it (and don't get fooled that anything cheaper is is legit).

You mean fooled by Microsoft saying it is legit?

I have bought many cheap Win7 and win10 licences for about £20. I
activate them with Microsoft. I buy them from a company called
softwaregeeks and have been using them for over three years.

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

So in what way are they not legit?

To quote the site in question: "The product comes with step-by-step
instructions for installation/activation, along with a volume license
product key"

So basically its a volume license key version of windows. Not licensed
for resale. To use it legitimately you would need to have a Volume
licensing program agreement in place with MS. [1]

For comparison, my *trade* price on Win 10 Home x64 is £78.13 ex VAT.

[1] From:

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/...ls.aspx?id=201

What are Product Keys?
A Product Key enables use of a software product you have licensed
under a specific Volume Licensing program. The Product Keys listed in
the VLSC should be used with only Volume License products and are
intended for use by your organization only.

I don't think so. see [2].

The basic facts are the licences work. I have never noticed a problem
with them or a difference from a normal licence. Microsoft themselves
activate the licence under my name (perhaps I mean my email), I make no
pretence that I belong to any organization. At least some licences
required telephone activation.

You might not like it but it appears to be legal. Microsoft could take
action to stop it but they don't. This is inaction to the point where
they appear, to my mind anyway, to be complicit.

So I can see no reason why I shouldn't buy them and no reason why I
shouldn't recommend them to others.

[2] From:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discount-Licensing

The legalities of the secondary-volume and digital-software markets were
reaffirmed in a 3 July 2012 European Court of Justice ruling which
involved the Exhaustion Principle and the Software Directive 2009.[

Some resale of some "used" licences is now lawful. But that doesn't
mean the sales by an alleged German company which doesn't bother to
comply with distance selling legislation are lawful. Compare eg this
company which at least gives the impression of knowing the law - on
software licensing and on online trading.

https://discount-licensing.com/en/contact/

--
Robin