zxcvbob

Default "antique nickel" screws?

Kai Seymour wrote:
blue wrote:

We bought some Stanley hinges as replacements for the solid wood doors
in our home. The hinges are in the colour "antique nickel". The
supplied screws are tiny and definately will not fit into the place of
the old screws which were #8 - #10, 1.5" - 3" (love how the previous
owners were consistent! :-).

Anyhow, are there screws available in this "antique nickel" in much
larger sizes? I've done some Googling and have come up with screws in
alternative colours such as "antique brass" (which doesn't match) but
have only found them in lengths up to 1". Our local Home Depot, Rona,
etc. didn't have anything.

If anyone knows of a place (online or otherwise, but perferably
Canadian or at least ships to Canada) that might offer this colour of
screw in the lengths I need, that would be great. Else we'll stick
with plain old silver since I am sure no one will notice they don't
match but me. :-)

Had a similar issue with a new exterior door. I drilled out the old
screw holes and filled them with 3/8" dowels, the 1-1/2" long, splined
kind made for joinery. A decent hardware store should have them. I
then drilled new pilot holes for the screws.

I don't think I would do that -- you're drilling into end-grain. I would
break off a matchstick or two in the old screw holes and use the new screws.

Best regards,
Bob