Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:48:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:01:15 +0000, T i m wrote:

... and will also authenticate itself the first time you go online.

You don't even have to do that, ie pay, for Win 10.

They OP wouldn't (anyway) though would he, if the machine came
pre-installed with W10 (and what I was answering).

The only bits
that don't work are the "personalisation" stuff and you have a
"Windows isn't Activated" OWTE bottom right corner.

Oh, ok. Whilst I must have some un-activated machines around here
(test installs etc) I can't remember ever running one like that for
any time because it's so easy to get activated, even from a previous
W7/8/8.1 install.

An elderly mate has an old PC running W7 and it only has an 80G hdd
(that is now full).

I've got him to order a 240G SSD and a 2.5 to 3.5" adaptor tray, plus
an external 1TB USB drive (he has no backups) and my intention is to
backup all his data, swap the HD for SSD and install W10 on the SSD
from scratch. If all goes well we can re-install any apps and restore
his data.

This would probably be after a dog walk as his elderly black lab is a
good influence on our (rescue) 'Borkie' (Beagle / Yorkshire terrier)
.... as even with all of us taking it in turns walking / running him
all day long ... doesn't seem to wear him out but does calm him down a

Cheers, T i m