Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

Paul Welsh wrote:

I have bought many cheap Win7 and win10 licences for about £20. I
activate them with Microsoft. I buy them from a company called
softwaregeeks and have been using them for over three years.

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

The wayback machine shows that the softwaregeeks.co.uk website
originally listed a company name "Bonodo Ltd", that was struck off in
October 2017.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09548993/filing-history
wayback then shows a company called "Geeks Ent Ltd"

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10599124/filing-history

But the current website and nominet claims the company/domain is
owned/registered by "softwaregeeks.co.uk GmbH" though no such company is
shown on the Unternehmens Register

https://www.unternehmensregister.de/ureg/result.html

I suspect the domain has been snapped-up and is being used by
fly-by-nights since the original company folded ...

The company "Software Geeks Ltd" (which may or not be related) was
registered and struck off without ever filing any return

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09117516/filing-history

A company German website (which may or not be related) shows a
UK owner of "Softwaregeek Ltd"

https://softwaregeek.de/impressum

That hasn't existed long enough to file any accounts

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11495724/filing-history

and is registered down this shady lane

https://goo.gl/maps/jYv6s1f9d4s

where they share an address with several other companies with a various
foreign owners and a history of being struck off

https://suite.endole.co.uk/explorer/postcode/tn21-8tr

So in what way are they not legit?

It all smells iffy to me, what sort of invoices did you get?