Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default About them 'scope probes

On 2/15/2019 11:34 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 16:30:11 -0800, Mike wrote:

On 2/14/2019 11:25 AM,
wrote:

But with the probes set at 1x the square wave isn't quite square.
The 3 probes that have the 1x setting all act the same, with the
square wave being slightly distorted.

If you emailed your doctor and said, "I feel slightly bad,"
what diagnostic would you expect?

At least describe it in such a way that one could draw an
accurate picture from your description. And yes, the time
dimension is relevant.

What's the output impedance of your function generator?
What do you see when you plug the function generator directly
into the scope, via what kind of cable?

I forgot to write the frequency. The frequency being used was 1KHz
at 300 MV, from both the 'scope and the function generator.
I only have 1 cable that connects to the function generator, it has
a BNC connector at one end and alligator clips at the other end. So at
this time I cannot directly connect it to the 'scope, I must use the
probes. But the probes are what I was testing and I got the same
results no matter where the signal was coming from, as I stated in my
original post.
The output impedence of the function generator is 50 ohms.
If I was able to connect the function generator directly to the
'scope with the proper cable what would this tell me? I guess if the
square wave shape was still distorted the same way and the same amount
then it would be the 'scope that has the problem? And if the square
wave was perfect then it would be the probes causing the distortion.
Look, I try to post a question with adequate information. It seems
like I'm always leaving something out though. It's not because I'm
being lazy or trolling. It's because I miss ****, just like eveyone
else. And I don't mind being asked for more info, especially if the
reasons for the requested info are listed. This helps me to be more
accurate in my replies. And helps me learn, which is why I post
questions in the first place.
Thanks,
Eric

And yet, the best description you can give for the observed waveform
is "distorted". How can you expect a solution to a problem you won't
disclose?
At the risk of repeating myself...