Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default About them 'scope probes

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 13:09:32 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:25:53 -0800, wrote:

So, as near as I can tell, the probes are all right, at least they
all act the same. But what causes the distorted square wave at the 1x
setting?

It's caused by the lack of high frequency response (i.e. rise time) in
X1 mode. For a typical X10/X1 switchable problem, the frequency
response is MUCH higher in X10 than in X1. For example:
https://www.tiepie.com/en/usb-oscilloscope/accessories/oscilloscope-probe-250mhz-x1-x10
Notice that the bandwidth is 250MHz in X10 but only 6MHz in X1.
This one is closer to what I think you bought:
https://www.tiepie.com/en/usb-oscilloscope/accessories/oscilloscope-probe-60mhz-x1-x10
60MHz bandwidth in X10 and 6MHz bandwidth in X1.

The frequency I was using was 1KHz. That's what the 'scope puts out
and what the function generator was set at. With a 100MHz probe
shouldn't a 1 KHz signal be low enough to avoid the rise time issue? I
didn't even know about the difference in the frequency response. Is
this one of the reasons that people recommend using the 10X setting
unless the 1x setting is needed? That the only time the 1X setting is
used is when the signal needs to be measured un-attenuated?
Thanks,
Eric