Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Walnut Root Ball

I'm kind of interested in this root ball. I'm hesitant because I don't have an immediate project in mind, but I can imagine a possible potential.

https://cenla.craigslist.org/art/d/h...766271800.html

I don't generally price this sort of "lumber". Considering I'd have to travel about 200 miles to collect it and all the work involved to produce a finished project, I'm of the mind that I might pay a gratuity for its availability, rather than pay for the wood stock itself.

I suspect the owner would like a fairly nice fee for it, but I don't want to pay anything for it. I'm inclined to ask to be paid to haul it off. I think the owner is a lady and I'm not sure she knows too much about lumber prices/pricing/logging in general, etc. I don't want to tell/imply, to her, that she doesn't know about lumber, etal, though her ad is directed to craftsmen. Seems she doesn't/may not know the work involved, hence the relative worth of the wood stock. I don't want to insult the lady as to her knowledge or with regard to any fee she may want or with my negotiation (pros & cons) for a possible low-price offer.

As for as I know, there is no precedent for pricing root ball stock as a wood product (lumber). This sort of stock is generally discarded, i.e., one pays for it to be removed.

Though you all might not have interests in this sort of "lumber", What value might you place on the root ball, only, so that the lady would be satisfied with some sort of (gratuity?) offer, if anything at all?

If you owned the root ball, would you expect it has a value and, if so, what value?

Thanks.
Sonny