Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 16:05:05 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 14:23:30 +0000, T i m wrote:

And even once a geek has got Linux installed and working for you, what
about all those apps you relied on that simply aren't available, or only
have poor clones of under Linux?

Hence my followup question about what the end goal is.

If you're doing hardcore MS development using Visual Studio etc, then
Windows is probably a good idea. If all you do is email/surf and nothing
too niche, it's more than likely Linux will suffice - given that some
applications such as Handbrake (video ripping) are available for Windows
and Linux.

If you're running some obscure piece of hardware, such as a Telex handler
with no new drivers since the company folded in 2003, then you are
probably stuck with Windows.

Quite.

So, given I'm not 'fan' of any OS (it's a means to an end) but like
having flexibility (range) and compatibility (the world *IS* still
very Windows centric) then that means it has to be Windows.

If you are willing to forgo all of that then yes, Linux can be a
solution for some.

It's like Windows is a petrol powered car, Mac a diesel and Linux LPG.
Yes, the latter two can have their advantages but only as long as you
are also willing to put up with their shortcomings (if you aren't part
of the minority it happens to suit).

Those of us who *have* been involved with Linux for a long time and
over many real-world machines (that were often built / designed for
Windows, not Linux) and with many real world users are able to judge
such things from a RW POV.

I have many instances of Linux on many machines here and yet I rarely
run one of them up to do anything and when I do, it's generally just
for fun, because I haven't for a while. For me, Mac OS is eve worse
(it's only a Bootcamp away but I've not booted to OSX for *years*.

Why haven't I? Because there is little I can't do on Windows (even
this XP) that I could do better on the other OS's?

An exception might be the likes of GParted.

If you take my most simple of daily desktop needs, Firefox and
Thunderbird are pretty similar across both platforms but Pan simply
doesn't work as fast or as well for me as Forte Agent (on the exact
same hardware).

It's like walking shoes / boots. I still haven't found any wide enough
but I have found some that 'might do', if I didn't care about actually
being comfortable. Outside of FF, TB and LO etc, pretty well every
other Linux app is a crude and often difficult to install (because you
don't generally have one setup.exe for a wide range of platforms)
alternative.

Teamviewer is fine of course, as it's the Windows version running
under Wine (but you don't have to configure the Wine bit yourself).
;-)

And that's the point ... Linux is great when it's not being interfaced
directly by people, like on Android phones or file / web servers,
doorbells and TV's etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m