Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

On 14/02/2019 12:35, Theo wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
From experience in buying laptops in recent years, I think the main
deciding factor may be how much bloatware is pre-installed but it's hard
to assess that from vendors descriptions or reviews. Does anyone have
experience of which brands are least infested, or on which it's easiest to
remove all the junk?

There's a thing called Windows Signature Edition, which is just plain
windows preinstalled:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/b/signaturepcs

However you should look at the bloatware as advertising that subsidises the
cost of the PC, because they expect you'll take up all the free trials etc.
If you're willing to do the work to reinstall Windows from a standard DVD,
you get to keep the subsidy as well as get rid of the bloatware.

However, you need to be vigilant for firmware things like:
https://thehackernews.com/2015/08/le...t-malware.html
(I think only Lenovo have been doing this)

THeo

They abandoned it a long time ago, thankfully.