Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMW on Motorway??

On Thursday, 14 February 2019 09:25:49 UTC, NY wrote:

One guy I worked with drove from Manchester to deepest Cornwall and back
in one of those small, 4-wheel, rear-steer cranes with a top speed of
12mph !!!

I bet he was popular when he was on single-carriageway roads where
overtaking isn't easy.

Is it my imagination or are drivers of abnormally slow vehicles (eg
tractors) less willing to pull into a layby to let faster traffic past? I
used to see tractors pulling very large, heavy (possibly overloaded)
trailers along the single-carriageway sections of the A64 and it was *very*
rare that they would pull off anywhere between Malton and York - and three
are very few sections of that road that have a long enough straight section
to allow safe overtaking.

I wish the law would be changed to say that tractors are only allowed on the
road for short journeys between one field and another of a farm, and that
for all longer-distance journeys trailers had to be hauled by a lorry that
was capable of reaching the speed limit, rather than a tractor with (at
best) a top speed of 30.

There's already a law to deal with it. Adding another is not the solution.