Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Magnetron question

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:43:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 20:07:20 UTC, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:05:11 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Well, you didn't mention WHAT country so...

I can tell you this. There are only a few types of magnetrons used in uWave ovens. If the mounting fits, 80%+ chance it works. The actual power is determined by the value of the cap and somewhat by the secondary of the transformer.

They can use a higher rated magnetron in a lower powered oven and they still save money by buying more of the same part. They save money on the transformer or the cap.

The mount has to REALLY match. Close is not good enough.

So the reason microwave ovens cycle on and off at the lower power
settings is because different caps would be needed for different power
outputs? I always thought it was the tube itself, that it worked best
at some certain power output.
Eric

Early 2 power level nukes used a capacitor & HV switch to reduce anode i. It's cheaper & more reliable to switch the power on & off. And safer. The only time it matters is with mousse.

NT

Darn it! I was gonna try to make some mousse tonight in the microwave.
Eric